Understanding the income-tested care fee and basic daily fee in Home Care Packages
Once you’re eligible for a Home Care Package, it’s important to understand the fees you may have to pay. Most aged care services in Australia, including home care services, are subsidised by the Australian Government. If you can afford to do so, you may be asked to contribute to the cost of your home care.
Here we help you make sense of two fees with Home Care Packages – the income-tested care fee and the basic daily fee.
Income-tested care fee
- This fee is different for everyone and is set by the Australian Government - it can’t be waived
- It’s determined by an income assessment based on your individual income, including your pension. The more money you make, the higher your fee will be
- If you’re on a full pension with an income up to $28,100.80, you won’t pay an income-tested care fee
- Should your financial situation change while you’re receiving care, your income-tested care fee may change
- You can estimate how much you’re likely to pay per day using the My Aged Care fee estimator here: https://www.myagedcare.gov.au/how-much-will-i-pay
Basic daily fee
- This fee is not subject to your income or assets
- It’s set by the Australian Government and varies depending on your Home Care Package level
- As of March 2021, it ranges from $9.72 - $10.85 per day
- The basic daily fee changes in March and September each year
- Wesley Mission Queensland does not charge this fee
Our team of Home Care Consultants speak to Queenslanders every day who are having difficulty understanding these fees. Should you have any further questions, we’re here to help. Contact us today on 1800 448 448.