Our pipe organ is the second organ to be used by Albert Street Congregation. When the new church was built in 1888-89 a new pipe organ was ordered from Mr George Benson, Manchester, UK with Mr James Lord (organist at the second church building) in charge of its specifications. The architect specially designed the wooden casework to match the interior design of the church with assistance from Mr Lord. The original cost was around £1000. It was installed by Paling and Company and Mr Thomas Christmas and tested by Irvine Dearnaley.
Since then, a number of rebuilding and upgrade projects have altered the original Benson design but the pipework is largely original and it remains largely configured within the original tonal design. With new additions there are now 2, 250 pipes in this beautiful instrument. This organ is acknowledged to be one of the finest in Queensland and is one of the very few 'three-manual' pipe organs in Brisbane. For more detailed information on its specifications please visit the Organ Historical Trust of Australia’s website.
A number of organists have been privileged to have been charged with playing the organ over time. Our past organists: James Lord, S G Benson, A.H Littler, Archie Day FTCL (42 years) and John Stepbens LTCL. Our present organist is Greg Hartay-Szabo BMus Hons (Music) BA B.Ed (English).
The original organ used in the first two Albert Street Uniting (Methodist) church buildings was sold to St Thomas’ Anglican Church in North Ipswich where it remains today. More information on that organ can be found on the Organ Historical Trust of Australia’s website.