Home for the holidays - things to notice when visiting elderly loved ones at home
- Aged Care
The Christmas / New Year period is a time associated with joy and optimism – a time where families come together, share food and fun while remembering the year that was, and think about the year to come.
- House looks unkempt Whether kept immaculately tidy, or a little bit lived in, most people are consistent in the way that they keep their house. If you notice a major difference in the state of the house, it could be a sign that your loved one is struggling with domestic tasks.
- Expired food in fridge/lack of food in house You may notice that your relative doesn’t have much food in the fridge, or that the milk is out of date and the pantry is almost empty. This could be a sign that they are struggling to leave the house to do their shopping, or they may even be worried about money.
- Malnourishment and changes in mood and
behaviourIf you notice a difference in your loved one’s appearance (they may look like they’ve lost weight), this could be an indicator that they aren’t eating regularly. Changes in mood or behaviourcould also indicate that they aren’t eating properly or could also be a sign of health problems.
- Compromised ability/mobility Your relative may be struggling to walk, or they may take longer to get up from their chair. Perhaps you notice they’re struggling to hang out their washing or are unable to easily pick up the kettle. These can all be signs of decreased mobility or strength.
- Struggle with personal hygiene Your loved one may be struggling with showering or personal hygiene if you notice that their hair looks unwashed, their facial hair is untidy, or they may smell of body
odour. Other indicators could be unclean clothes, poor oral hygiene, and untidy and long nails.
Nobody likes to see their loved ones struggle, and it can be difficult to open up the conversation about getting support. Your
In-home care and respite services available at Wesley Mission Queensland
Wesley Mission Queensland offers a wide variety of home care services, from cleaning, maintenance