Art from the Margins (AFTM) is a visual arts program providing artists with creative support, mentoring and professional development, art workshops and the opportunity to exhibit their work to the wider community.
Art from the Margins supports artists who are experiencing:
- Mental health issues
- A physical or intellectual disability
- Social isolation
Our program brings artists together - and bridges the gap between those living in isolation and the wider arts community and the public.
Art from the Margins helps artists to:
- Build their self worth and confidence
- Enhance their wellbeing
- Develop their creative potential and artistic skills
- Connect socially and feel included in the wider community
- Have the opportunity to exhibit and sell their artwork
How to get involved with Art from the Margins:
- We would like to hear from you. Call AFTM on 3151 6655 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sign up to receive the AFTM newsletter for news and event information
- Volunteer your times or skills
- Donate to AFTM or support one of our fundraising campaigns
- Attend the artists meet up - held every second Thursday of the month
- Sign up to participate in a workshop or event
To find out more, visit the AFTM website and sign up for the newsletter.
Gallery opening hours
Visiting hours to the Art from the Margins Gallery in Fortitude Valley are by appointment.
Exhibitions are held during the year throughout Brisbane – visit our events page or the AFTM website to find out more.
History of Art from the Margins
Art from the Margins is an initiative of the Albert Street Uniting Church. The idea was conceived in a Brisbane park beside a coffee van when a member of the Albert Street Uniting Church’s Servant Network was talking with an artist living in isolation. The artist spoke about the challenges facing artists living with disadvantage when they try to display their work in a public space or participate in the wider arts community.
For more information visit the AFTM website